Wednesday, July 9, 2008

podcast suggestion


As I considered podcasts for my ELLs, I thought back to how I learned to read as a child. I remembered that much of what I learned came from Sesame Street and I was curious to see what Sesame Street was like today. I discovered that a lot was the same, but the celebrities had changed, and cookie monster no longer eats cookies, just fruit.
Since my grade 2 students are needing to "say sorry" quite often I looked at a vocabulary podcast found at http://www.sesameworkshop.org/podcasts/sesamestreet/rss.xml
the podcast itself is called "Word on the Street: Apology with Ann Curry" and it's less than 6 minutes long, but contains numerous people, old and young on the streets of NYC advocating apologies. There's a basketball cartoon, a claymation cartoon and a muppet version of the Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood. They're all apologizing. The best part is Anne Curry and her take on apologizing. There's also podcasts of "Sigh with Sarah Jessica Parker", "Struggle with Tyra Banks" and other celebrity podcasts including Diane Sawyer and Ice-T.

No comments: